On a show a year ago, Gil featured two young women, April Grolle and Lauren Chief Elk, who (along with a third girl) intervened in the rape of a minor at a DeAnza College baseball team party. The women, along with their attorney, Jim Hammer, came in to the station to talk to Gil about the decision made by prosecutors NOT to bring charges against any of the guys from the party.
Go to the archives and listen to the hour. It'll turn your stomach. The 17 year old girl, unconscious or nearly so, with someone else's vomit on her face. The horseshoe of guys, standing around a mattress on the floor. Don't turn away from the images in your head right now. You need to see them. If you're a woman, you need to resolve that you will never allow this to happen to another woman if you can help it. If you're a man, you need to see the girl on the mattress as your wife or your daughter or your sister and resolve to never ever think for a moment that there is an excuse for this sort of behavior.
And can I say, just this once, that I am consistently floored by the sheer number of idiot men that exist? I should assert: I am floored by the sheer number of idiot men who call in to the show. Listeners aren't the same as callers, and the callers can be a rather unique cross-section of society. Men who laugh at rape, for instance. A male caller suggested that the 17 year old victim may have actually been paid for her services. Seriously. I just threw up in my mouth a little. Who is raising these people? Who is raising the baseball players from DeAnza College? How do their mothers look at them without being ill? How do you live with having raised a boy, a disgusting vile boy who can watch an unconscious girl be violated over and over? Wake up and look at your sons.
Do I sound angry? Good.
Originally written 5.08
No comments:
Post a Comment