The first ridiculous part of the story is that Congress put together a Christmas resolution at all.
The second ridiculous part is that they actually brought it to a vote. Last Christmas-time, the House of Representatives voted 372-9 to pass a resolution that declared the United States is predominantly Christian, and that Christianity contributed greatly to the development of the country and Western civilization. The dissenting votes were all Democrats. My issues with this sort of time-waster are so numerous I have neither the patience nor the focus needed to enumerate them. So I'll give you the highlights.
1. California will soon be predominantly Latino. Should we all start celebrating El Dia de Los Muertos then? Would this white-boy representative from Iowa be OK with whatever is "predominant" in society being forced on everyone else if we were talking about Illinois swallowing Iowa? Illinoisans are predominant in that part of the country, right?
2. Rep. Steve King is allegedly making a statement about Christmas. As usual, those who shout loudest about their "faith" have failed to do their research. Christmas is a pagan holiday, it always has been, and its rituals were co-opted by the Church two millennia ago in order to convert those nature-worshipping country folk.
3. I thought Greece and Rome had already shaped Western Civilization by the time the Christians managed to band together. Democracy, philosophy, critical thinking, art...everyone with a brain knows these are the building blocks of our society. Well, that and slaves. Slaves built this country, not Christians.
I could go on, but now I'm annoyed. We pay these yutzes to run our country, and this is what they're doing on the day Bush vetoes the child health care bill.
Originally written 12.07
No comments:
Post a Comment