I’m a feminist. I’ve waited my whole life to see a female be considered seriously for the highest offices in the country. I’ve spent long stretches of time pondering what a woman would be able to do for this country that centuries of white men haven’t. And even though I’m a Democrat, I should be thrilled that the stodgy ol’ GOP has finally gotten the cajones to put a woman on their ticket. I’m not.
Sarah Palin’s speech last night was full of ass-whuppin’ rhetoric and pointed attacks. Thrilling for the GOP base, nervous-making for the Democrats. But she ran the risk of completely pissing off Clinton voters and moderates who wanted to hear strategy and policy on Iraq, the economy, and healthcare. My feminism kicks in when I hear her called the best “man” for the job. And if I hear one more talking head refer to how “macho” she was I’m going to set something on fire. She is a woman, and she’s tough. Period. As a fellow tough woman I am disturbed by my initial reaction to her speech, which was to think that she’s a total bitch.
Day 3:
1. Mitt Romney ran through Radio Row like he was being chased by a flock of homosexuals. He looks like a game show host, and not in the endearing-Chuck-Woolery way.
2. Jon Voight whored himself out to the media for hours yesterday, at one point standing right in front of our booth with a crowd 5-deep around him. I went and got security to move them out of the way.
3. Gil interviewed Lou Sheldon from the Traditional Values Coalition yesterday, and I couldn’t look that little old man in the face. His blue eyes burn like he’s the Devil himself.
4. If you’re ever in Tulsa, Oklahoma, look up the guys from KRMG. Joe, Rick, and Drew are seriously the nicest guys on the planet.
5. Carla Marinucci from the SF Chronicle is brilliant, read her often.
6. KGO is famous and well-respected all across the country, it turns out. Don’t take us for granted.
7. The Log Cabin Republicans may be incredibly misguided, in my opinion, but it takes incredible bravery to mingle with people who hate your guts.
Originally written 9.08
No comments:
Post a Comment