This is me, out here on my limb. I don’t care if cake is bad for me. Or sunlight. I don’t care if TV rots my brain, or if I drink too little or too much water. I don’t much care if I’m running late to most things, or if I use too much butter in my mashed potatoes. My cell phone might irradiate my brain. Soda rots your teeth. Too much cheese hardens your arteries, not enough cheese makes you breakable. Chocolate releases endorphins on par with sex, but it gives you pimples and makes you fat. Alcohol will make you insane and steal away your judgment, but red wine is OK for pregnant women.
We live in a society that tells you everything will kill you; and we like it that way. We are desperate to live forever, to endure, but this is not an example of our fortitude of spirit. There is a permeating fear of death, of the cycle, of the natural order of things. We fight to add years to our lives, all the time ignoring the fact that your life has left the station without you. All the wheatgrass, fish oil, and pilates in the world can’t replace the soul-soothing affirmation of one moment of appreciation for your planet and your people. Trees, oceans, children, deserts, Grandparents, animals, sunshine, your best friend from 3rd grade…these are what define our presence on the planet. Not our cholesterol levels or the antioxidant content of blueberries. We spend less time with what we love and more time in self-flagellation at the altar of Never Good Enough.
Everything and anything can kill you or cure you. The obsession with perfect health in this society is contrary to Darwinian principle and the natural order of things. Try to remember that anything at all can end your time on this earth, and whether or not you went to the gym that day won't matter a bit. But you might wish you had had more cake. Or mayonnaise.
Originally written 7.08
No comments:
Post a Comment