Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tell Me You Remember DARYL?!

Everyone's got a few of these--the movies you saw over and over again as a kid, the ones you forget about except for little flashes every 5 years or so. I'm not talking The Princess Bride, or Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, or The Neverending Story. Everyone's seen those, and if you haven't, well, get thee to your Netflix queue and feel shame.

No, I mean the weird ones, the scary ones, the random ones. I saw Videodrome when I was still in the single digits and almost had a coronary in front of my VCR. Ditto Poltergeist. Troop Beverly Hills was one I watched about 63 times, but I can never find anyone who doesn't say, "Is Diane from Cheers in that? Never seen it." And HOW dated is this paragraph so far? Sheesh.

The reason I bring this up specifically is a movie that was released recently on DVD, a movie that my stepdad made me watch one ridiculously hot Saturday or something when we were stuck inside because it was 105 degrees. I then watched this movie over and over and over, and then through the miracle of cable, over and over again. Anyone ever seen D.A.R.Y.L.? It's on DVD! Like right now! It's got a boy! Who's a robot! And he's brought into a family to live! And then he flies a jet!

There was also some stealing of money from an ATM with Daryl's magical pre-internet-networking-from-machine-to-machine capabilities. That appealed to either my more felonious side, or my greedier side, maybe both. And D.A.R.Y.L. is multifunctional: it's both the robot boy's name AND the acronym for Data Analyzing Robot Youth Lifeform. Bad ass.

And WHY haven't you added D.A.R.Y.L. to your queue yet? Didn't I mention Michael McKean, and child actor extraordinaire Barrett Oliver, on whom I crushed so hard (who was also Bastian in Neverending Story)? Go!

Originally written 3.09

No comments:

Post a Comment